Your new company
Our client is an independent electricity systems operator for Northern Ireland who are at forefront of innovation in the energy industry, enabling the transition towards a low-carbon, technology-enabled smart future. From their control centre in Belfast, they play a critical role providing power to homes, farms and businesses throughout the province
Your new role
On behalf of our client, we are recruiting for a Systems Operational Manager to support the operation of the Northern Ireland transmission system in the context of the all-island wholesale electricity market. This is a key role operating within a dynamic area of the Operations Function ensuring that the Northern Ireland Transmission system is being operated safely to agreed security standards.
- Manage the Northern Ireland power system in a safe, secure, reliable and economic manner to deliver a dispatch that minimises the cost of operating the system and benefits customers in Northern Ireland and in the Single Electricity Market
- Ensure end to end responsibility for day to day system operations (covering both the control room and the back office teams) acting as a first point of escalation for system operations issues
- Oversee the review and monitoring of plant margins, system demand forecast, renewable forecasts and generation to ensure security standards are maintained at all times
- Develop and oversee procedures and quality assurance to allow continuous risk analysis relating to system operation; ensuring that all Group policies are followed and prudent operation of the system within the Operating Security Standards
- Lead outage planning and coordination from week ahead to real time
- Liaise with third party providers and develop pro-active working relationships with Power Stations, DSOs, Interconnectors, other TSOs and Regulators.
- Act as a representative for key internal and external engagements, e.g. Utility Regulator, Government departments and act as the point of contact for Regional/ European Control Centres
- Lead and champion the introduction of change in control room operations ensuring that best in class processes, tools and policies are deployed to optimise the introduction of renewables on the power system
- Participate in simulation exercises and input into their development
- Contribute to and influence the design and delivery of operational policy changes to prudently manage future changes in the system operations area
What you'll need to succeed
- Degree in engineering; typically with 8+ years extensive technical experience of power system operations
- Excellent understanding of all aspects of safe, secure, reliable and economic operation of a transmission system
- Strong organisational and operational planning skills with the ability to plan and manage operational risk
- Ability to provide leadership and work under pressure while meeting strict deadlines
- Ability to successfully guide, persuade and influence others through developed skills of communication and diplomacy
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills confident in communicating technical concepts to lay audiences and technical experts alike
- Change oriented, resilient, innovative and comfortable with ambiguity
- Ability to work effectively as a member of an all-island team and be able to influence, negotiate and resolve conflict when required.
What you'll get in return
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of an organisation that is committed to delivering electricity from renewable sources which will play a vital role in the response to the climate crisis. You will be offered a challenging yet collaborative and team-oriented work environment where high performance knowledge and continual development are valued. If you believe you have the skills and experience to take up this position, please submit your CV with cover letter in one document no later than 15th December 2020.
What you need to do now
If you believe you have the skills and experience to take up this position, please submit your CV with cover letter in one document no later than 15th December 2020.
Experience: 0 yrs