A. ROLE PURPOSE
The news desk is the engine room of our integrated newsroom and is responsible for all news creation, ensuring that our digital and print platforms are supplied with relevant and timely content for their audiences.
The Belfast Telegraph is rolling out a digital first strategy, transforming how the newsroom operates across seven days. The News Editor will play a key role in driving a digital first culture across the newsroom.
The News Editor is across the daily news agenda and drives key stories on behalf of all our platforms.
Prioritising the demands of the digital news cycle, the News Editor plans, prepares, commissions and delivers relevant, timely and quality news and current affairs.
The News Editor directs and coordinates our pool of reporters / freelance contributors, inspiring and supporting the team in equal measure to help deliver a top-class news service and ensure high journalistic standards are maintained.
The News Editor is responsible for providing an efficient link between the news-gathering operation and the digital publishing team and print production team to meet their deadlines.
The role holder is also responsible for careful forward-planning to prepare for known upcoming events and the development of unique, exclusive coverage, which adds value to our digital offering. The news desk determines what is commissioned and what stories may not be covered as a result of resources being placed elsewhere.
Reporting to the Head of News, the News Editor works with the Assistant News Editor and is supported by two deputies: The Deputy News Editor and the Deputy Online Editor.
B. ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES (Overview)
- Driving overall news strategy across all Belfast Telegraph platforms
- Directing and briefing a team of general news and specialist reporters to deliver our high-quality agenda-setting news output across platforms
- Liaising with relevant editors on daily issues regarding news and analysis
- Producing quality news schedules at appropriate times to ensure timely and professional delivery of content to the digital publishing team and print production team, also working closely with visuals
- Working closely with homepage and production editors and others to ensure editorial deadlines are met across platforms, also ensuring breaking stories are available on our digital platforms
- Ensuring that the content adheres to legal and moral standards, as accepted by the management of the company
- Managing resources and budgets effectively to deliver a cost-efficient output and ensure optimum performance
- Working with the Editor and the Head of News to devise compelling campaigns and initiatives to help drive digital registrations/subscriptions and boost circulation
- Mentoring and coaching the team on performance and personal development, with a particular focus on digital skills
- Maintaining the quality standards of published content across all platforms
- Ensuring, along with production staff, that appropriate story shapes, etc. are provided to staff reporters and external contributors to enable the generation of write-to-fit content
- Copy editing where necessary
- Establishing and developing strong relationships with all internal and external stakeholders
- Assuming editorial responsibility in the absence of the Editorial Senior Team from time to time
- Additional duties as determined by management
C. EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS (Minimum Experience & Essential Knowledge)
- At least five years' news reporting experience in a daily newspaper/website is essential
- At least one year's experience of working on a news desk is essential
- Digital experience, preferably in a digital news environment, is essential
- Experience in managing a team would be a distinct advantage
- Strong legal and ethical knowledge, including the Editors' Code of Practice, Northern Ireland and UK media laws in line with policy.
Technical & Non-technical
- Strong news judgment
- Copy editing
- Comfortable working on digital deadlines and able to keep up with constant news breaking pace of digital journalism
- Experience of content management systems for digital and print platforms. Experience of Escenic and ATEX (including authoring and editing) is an advantage
- Ability to use social media to source, research and tell stories
- Ability to recognise and generate exclusives, campaigns and other content
- Idea generation
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and balance priorities
- Sound knowledge of the Editors' Code of Practice, IPSO best practice and media ethics for Northern Ireland
- Ability to effectively manage budgets
- Ability to 'legal' articles and to liaise with lawyers.
- Leadership & Management
- Strong interpersonal skills
- People Development and team building - working with journalists to produce the best story
- Effective Collaboration
- Planning and organising
- Results orientated
- Customer and market focused
- Attention to detail
- Making a Difference
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt and drive change