Company Background Viridian is the leading independent energy company in the all-Ireland market. With an annual turnover of circa €1.5 Billion and employing 700 staff across NI and ROI, the Viridian Group is one of Ireland’s Top 50 Businesses. The Group comprises Power NI, Power NI Power Procurement Business (PPB) and the Energia Group of Supply, Generation and Renewables companies. Together, we supply c. 25% of Ireland’s domestic electricity, business energy and green energy markets.
As a Great Place to Work, and one of Ireland’s 20 Best Large Employers, our people are at the heart of our business – we offer competitive reward packages, an extensive Health & Wellbeing programme, and support for your ongoing learning and development. We also offer a welcoming working environment built around high-performing teams, and the scope to grow your career and take on new challenges.
As a forward thinking and innovative organisation, Viridian businesses have been first to market with many major initiatives in the Irish energy sector in the last 15 years. It’s a trend we plan to continue, through the drive, talent and energy of our exceptional people.
The Role PPB currently has a requirement for a Trainee Analyst to support its commercial operations. The role is varied with opportunities for development and the successful applicants will be involved in the effective day to day execution of commercial office activities as part of the PPB team.
- Assisting in the development of trading strategies for PPB’s contracted generation units
- Conducting analysis to identify trading opportunities and facilitate optimal trading outcomes
- Trading financial gas and power in line with PPB’s hedging policies
- Forecasting electricity prices and generator output across multiple markets
- Analysing and reporting forecasting results in a clear and precise manner
- Assisting in the development of the forecasting tools and methods to achieve greater accuracy
- Analysing, monitoring and reporting on the Irish electricity markets
The post will be offered on a personal contract basis and will include an attractive benefits package, including a salary to reflect the skills and experience of the successful candidate. The post will be based in our offices in Belfast.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Min 2:1 Degree in a relevant subject Statistical/Numerical background; Economics, Mathematics, Finance, Computer Science, Engineering or similar
- Excellent IT skills with a sound working knowledge of MS packages.
- Eligible to work in UK
- Advanced MS Excel skills (macros, pivot tables etc)
- Experience of Matlab, SQL, Python
- Demonstrable experience of data modelling, managing large data sets and analysing large volumes of data to identify anomalies and trends.
- Previous experience of working within a trading environment.
- Knowledge of the Irish Gas and Electricity industry to include ISEM.
Provides creative solutions to business issues/ needs, ensuring lessons are learned and improvements made. Monitors and drives effectiveness, compliance and competitiveness of specific processes (using targets as appropriate).
Recognised as credible and trustworthy. Consistently does what is expected and demonstrates personal accountability for getting a job done.
Drive for Results
Develops, prioritises and delivers on agreed actions. Displays creativity in problem solving.
Clearly communicates to a variety of audiences using a range of methods. Able to facilitate discussions on specific subjects or of a complex nature
The job requires a considerable degree of commitment, flexibility and adaptability on the part of the job holders to meet quality standards, work deadlines and the changing needs of the business. The individual must have the ability to resolve problems and handle routine work with limited supervision.
To apply Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting PPBTA in the subject header. Applicants should ensure that they provide details in their CV of the specific relevant experience gained in current and previous roles, including how they meet the above criteria.
Please also complete the attached Monitoring form VIA CLICKING THE DOWNLOAD BUTTON (with National Insurance Number) and send to email@example.com. Applications will be considered incomplete if the monitoring form is not returned. Both emails should quote PPBTA in the subject header.
All correspondence will be communicated via email. A reserve list will be held for 6 months in which you will be placed if you are suitable for the role.
The closing date for applications will be 3rd September 2018.
Viridian Group is an equal opportunities employer.