Reporting directly to the Managing Director you will:
- Act as the organisation’s lead competent person for health and safety as defined by the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
- Ensure the organisation complies with current health and safety legislation, approved codes of practice and guidance in relation to employment, service provision and site safety;
- Work proactively with Managers, Employees, Foremen, Site Supervisors and Sub Contractors to establish and maintain a system that promotes a culture of safe working practices across the organisation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure that management, foremen, employees, sub-contractors and site visitors comply with safety legislation and that safety policies and practices are adopted and adhered to;
- Assist the Managing Director in the review of all Company Health & Safety Policies and Procedures and enforcing them on site;
- Actively promote health and safety awareness at all levels within the organisation and monitor health and safety compliance among sub-contractors;
- Carry out weekly site safety inspections, keeping records of inspection findings and producing reports that suggest improvements;
- Assist the Quantity Surveyor in compiling method statements and risk assessments for new works and reviewing sub contractor method statements for upcoming works;
- Arrange and collate periodic inspections of plant, machinery and tools as per the LOLER & PUWER Regulations;
- Actively participate in Site Safety Meetings with site management and client, discussing any upcoming works and potential hazards;
- Monitor, evaluate and review Health and Safety policy and practice, make recommendations and implement new policies and procedures as required across the organization;
- Assist in the identification of health and safety training needs for employees and in conjunction with Human Resources ensure the delivery of training to meet those needs;
- Advise management team on the implications of current and emerging health, safety and welfare legislation, including evaluating options, making recommendations and as directed by Managing Director generate actions plans to ensure compliance across the organisation;
- In conjunction with Managing Director implement health and safety systems and procedures to meet specific requirements, such as accident reporting and the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) in a consistent and effective manner.
- Carry out audits to evaluate the effectiveness of Health and Safety systems and procedures, and identify and implement improvements.
- Ensure routine health and safety activities and checks are carried out e.g. fire, testing of portable electrical appliances and the review of risk assessments.
- Take a lead in the investigation of any incidents, accidents or near misses, preparing and instigating procedures and sanctions to prevent a re-occurrence. Report to managing director and liaise with the HSE and other regulatory bodies when required;
- Manage and organise the safe disposal of hazardous substances, e.g. asbestos; advising on a range of specialist areas, e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and occupational diseases;
- Implementing and maintaining H&S audits and procedures to ISO9001, 14001& ISO18001 standards.
Person Specification: Qualifications; Skills and Ability;
Skills and Ability;