Vacancy Reference - 17763
We are currently recruiting for a Band 3 Ward Clerk to be based in Newry. This will be a full-time temporary role, on a rota basis and expected to last for two months.
Duties & Responsibilities:
* General reception duties which include managing the door systems, meeting and greeting patients, relatives, members of staff and clergy; also checking in and redirecting patients.
* Operate Patient Centre, computer database system, ensuring all information is accurate and up-to-date. Record manually ward activity on daily ward return. Record on Patient Centre all admissions, discharges and transfers on the ward, including reasons for delayed and complex discharges.
* Have charts available on ward filed in a tidy manner and fastened securely with an adequate supply of documentation prepared for ward rounds. Daily print and file ward rounds from Consultants in case notes.
* Booking outpatient appointments. Use acquired knowledge and understanding of medical terminology (acquired through on-the-job training and experience) in order to book review appointments. Use judgement to book the appropriate appointment. Print and post out appointment letters to the patients and for short notice appointments, contact the patient by telephone. For some appointments liaise with secretaries (when no appointments available), Consultants (for difficult appointments) and booking centre (lifting suspended clinics).
* Add patients to urgent outpatient waiting lists.
* Cancel patient appointments and rebook.
* Record all patient activity for ward attenders.
* Book patients to Access Clinics, record attendances and book follow-up appointments.
* Book interpreters for patients on ward and arrange interpreters for follow-up appointments.
* Work with theatre scheduler to ensure that patients who have cancelled are re-instated.
* Follow protocol and procedures to ensure the smooth administrative management of patients. This will require close liaison with Consultants, nursing staff, secretarial staff, medical records and relevant staff across the Trust.
* Take initial receipt of all incoming correspondence - telephone, written and enquiries. Using initiative, prioritise urgency of response required and bring to the attention of medical and nursing staff when necessary.
* Liaise with health records for case notes for new admissions on the ward. Preparation of case notes for planned elective admission. Check case notes have arrived on the ward and liaise with health records for missing charts and add-ons. Retrieve case notes for Ward Manager for audits and complaints.
* Go to various libraries in health records and the secretaries' offices to obtain case notes for next day admissions.
* Split charts for ease of reference as per guidelines on splitting charts.
It is essential that interested candidates meet the following criteria -
* 4 GCSEs at Grades A-C including English Language or equivalent / higher qualification AND 1 years' experience in a clerical / administrative role OR 2 years' experience in a clerical / administrative role.
* Experience in the use of Microsoft office products including Word and Excel or equivalent.
For more information on this role or any other vacancy please call us on 028 90330 555.
For this role, Kennedy Recruitment is acting in the capacity of an employment business.
Kennedy Recruitment is an equal opportunities employer and a Corporate Member of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC). Kennedy Recruitment adheres to all current employment legislation.
Please note only those candidates shortlisted may be contacted.