Vacancy Reference :17003
Kennedy Recruitment are working in connection with their Public Sector client to recruit a temporary Deputy Principal Legal Officer to be based in Lurgan. This is a full time role, 09:00 - 17:00 (Mon - Thurs) 09.00 - 16.30 (Fri) - but may be able to offer some flexibility and expected to last until the end of March with the possibility of extension. The following duties will be required -
* Provide assistance to the Legal Advisers, staff and SMT on legal issues, including complex applications for charitable status and consents required under the legislation. This will include consideration of complex constitutions, requiring reference to Trust, Property and Company law
* Provide internal advice and assist with action against trustees who fail to apply to register or submit information requested by the Organisation
* Advise Monitoring and compliance team on cases of non compliance and assist in them in taking action in cases of breach of trust
* Manage and respond to Freedom of Information and Data Protection Act enquiries where appropriate
* Assist with detailed guidance on charity legislation as required
* Undertake legal research and assist with any appeals on behalf of the Organisation in the Charity Tribunal and on appeal work as appropriate
* Assist with drafting legal content for website and undertaking relevant research
* Assist legal advisers in instructing Counsel on behalf of the Organisation if required
* Assist in the development of an internal legal manual specifying processes and procedures for work under the charities legislation
* Keep abreast of charity case law and relevant developments
* Create and maintain IT based databases and paper records of internal and external legal referral responses and legal issues and precedents
* Maintain electronic filing systems and records accurately and in a timely manner
* Assist in developing and maintaining good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders by dealing with queries efficiently and to a high customer service standard
* Carry out specified project work under the guidance of senior colleagues to support the achievement of project aims.
* Comply with Data Protection, Freedom of Information and the Organisation's requirements relating to documentation and record keeping
* Ability to work flexibly across teams and a range of areas.
Ability to manage own workload and work simultaneously on range of complex tasks
* Ability to competently use a variety of IT packages including word, outlook and excel
* Undertake other ad-hoc duties as may be reasonably required and requested by the Organisation
* Entitled to hold a practicing certificate
* 2 years' post qualification experience as a solicitor - within the last 3 years is preferred
* Experience of undertaking research, developing guidance, and providing reports/updates on case law and legislation
* Experience of preparing briefs and assisting in instructing Counsel
* Experience of creating and maintaining legal databases
* Experience of working on corporate governance and regulation
* Experience of a diverse range of legal matters including litigation and tribunal/court proceedings
Candidates will be required to obtain a Standard Access NI check at a cost of £26.00
Please note that a criminal record will not necessarily be a bar to obtaining a position. This will depend on the nature of the position and circumstances of the offences.
For this role, Kennedy Recruitment is acting in the capacity of an employment business.
Kennedy Recruitment is an equal opportunities employer and a Corporate Member of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC). Kennedy Recruitment adheres to all current employment legislation.
Please note only those candidates shortlisted may be contacted.