Kennedy Recruitment are working in connection with Northern Health & Social Care Trust to recruit a Band 4 Medical Secretary based in Antrim. This is a temporary full-time role for 30 hours a week. The hours of work will be 9.30am - 4.30pm Monday to Friday. This role is for 2 months initially.
The expected duties for this role will be -
* Be responsible for dealing with incoming correspondence via post, telephone, email and fax, along with general enquiries from patients, GP's, other hospitals, etc and redirect/action as appropriate. Urgent referrals / red flag referrals should be brought to the immediate attention of the Consultant
* To transcribe audio material for all patient related correspondence generated from outpatient clinics, in patient stay (including theatre lists and discharge summaries) and the resulting queries.
* To transcribe audio material for all non-patient related correspondence from Consultant and team.
* Locating of case notes within and outside the department, as required thereby supporting continuity of patient care.
* Ensure the accurate filing of correspondence and results.
* Compose correspondence on behalf of Consultant and medical staff relating to patient results, appointments, admissions and general advice.
* Compose correspondence in own name e.g. when following up telephone queries with patients, miscellaneous queries etc.
* Keep a day - to - day and admissions diary for Consultant providing appropriate reminders of schedule, either via electronic (email) system or paper, and take appropriate action on conflicting appointments.
* Minute taking as and when required
* To organise follow-up appointments by use of a computerised system ensuring patients are notified of their appointments within agreed timescales and arrange transport as necessary
* Be responsible for the effective management of the consultant's inpatient waiting list / Day case list by ensuring patients are added to PAS waiting list within the agreed timescales as per IEAP.
* Ensure the smooth running of out-patient clinics, by ensuring that case notes and associated correspondence/investigation results, arrive in adequate time for clinic preparation. Prompt collection and tracking/processing of case notes following out-patient clinics.
* Ensure that results on patient investigations are received and followed as appropriate.
* Provide GP or other health care professionals clinical information regarding patients, e.g. regarding prescriptions (dosage, transcribing illegible writing, etc ) and on patient management from handwritten outpatient notes.
* Use IT skills as applicable to produce reports, lecture text, presentations, research documents, etc for work being undertaken by medical staff (e.g. Powerpoint, spreadsheets) set up and maintain databases.
* Work closely with other secretarial staff, sharing the responsibility of maintaining stationery requirements.
* Organise meetings, courses, seminars, medical students examinations as required, including the booking of rooms, travel arrangements etc
* Take responsibility for securing computer equipment and files at all times.
* Liaise with other hospitals and health care professionals and to synchronise care of patients, e.g. joint operations, joint clinics, specialised investigations etc.
* To maintain confidentiality at all times.
* Use tact and diplomacy when dealing with patients/relatives and exercise judgement when dealing with patient enquiries.
* Inform all relevant departments of Consultants planned absences, to ensure clinical and surgical commitments are altered appropriately.
* To advise junior medical staff in relation to their administration commitments.
* To be the central point of contact for the under/post graduate department in relation to junior medical staff.
* Provide information and guidance to medical secretarial students and new staff with regard to departmental and hospital policies and procedures, use of office equipment, and ensuring Health & Safety requirements are met within the working area.
* Provide guidance, supervision and delegation of duties, where appropriate, to medical secretarial Assistants/entry level secretaries and new staff with regard to computer systems, medical terminology, and with the checking and correction of letters.
* Ensure that own knowledge of relevant Trust policies and procedures and Health & Safety requirements are kept up-to -date.
* Participate in training and induction programmes.
* To assist with the recruitment of junior staff to participate in the induction and training of new medical, secretarial staff within the department as required.
* Adhere to all guidelines for good administrative practices as directed by Department of Health e.g. waiting times for outpatient appointments, 7 day follow up after discharge etc.
It is essential that candidates meet the following criteria -
* AMSPAR Medical Secretaries Diploma PLUS 2 years experience as a medical secretary/team secretary
* 4 GCSE's (Grade A*-C) to include English language (or equivalent) PLUS 2 years medical secretary/team secretary experience in a healthcare setting
* 3 years secretarial/administrative experience in a healthcare setting
In addition to one of the above applicants must possess
* OCR Text Processing (Business professionals) Level 2 Award or RSA Stage 2 Typing/Word Processing (both parts) or equivalent
* Audio typing qualification or 6 months audio typing experience
For further information please contact Kennedy Recruitment on 02890 330 555 quoting the reference number 11328.
For this role, Kennedy Recruitment is acting in the capacity of an employment business.
Kennedy Recruitment is an equal opportunities employer and a Corporate Member of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC).
Kennedy Recruitment adheres to all current employment legislation.
Please note only those candidates shortlisted will be contacted.