Your new company
One of the largest fully integrated law Commercial Law firms in the world that advise and work with with the most ambitious organisations that span the globe and have a reputation for excellence, are now recruiting for a senior corporate lawyer to join their globally pre eminent team in Belfast
Your new role
- Assists the Team Leaders in managing the delivery of fee-earning work to the best possible standards of legal quality.
- Conducts fee-earning work appropriate to the relevant practice area.
- Escalates project-specific issues appropriately to the Team Leaders.
- Supervises solicitors, trainees and legal assistants conducting fee earning projects and carries out "first-level review" on projects where necessary.
- Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of relevant areas of law to the Belfast office's practice generally, and as an "expert" in relation to specialist areas of practice.
- Assists the Team Leaders as required by the Director, Deputy Director or relevant Practice Group Lead, in drafting, updating and revising all of our internal processes relating to our legal practice (in the practice area relevant to the candidate's expertise), including making recommendations for improvements in the quality of service delivery.
- Supports with pricing at the outset of a matter and then assists in managing costs and billing throughout, under the supervision of the Team Leaders.
- Supports with the development of workflow for specific projects, including drafting relevant sections of any process manuals and supporting our instructing teams generally with the drafting of project instructions.
- Assists the Team Leaders in the drafting and preparation of client communications and required reporting throughout a project. In particular, assists the Team Leaders by preparing the first draft of any weekly or interim reports. Good drafting skills will therefore be essential.
- Assists the Team Leaders with training the project team, ensuring effective delivery of briefing/ training sessions at the outset of a matter and ensuring that the project team is abreast of key learning points throughout the matter. An interest in training lawyers to develop their legal and other skills as a practitioner generally within the context of our expertise is therefore desirable.
- Assists with written material or cost models for pitches and marketing initiatives if required.
- Assists with bespoke projects as and when required, for example drafting internal and external communications to promote the Belfast Office's practice.
- Supports with client visits to the office as required.
- Assists the Team Leaders in project managing the Belfast team on individual matters, including:
- Dealing with complex issues on individual matters that are escalated by the Solicitors, Trainees and Legal Assistants.
- Communication with the internal client (London partner/managing associate) on individual matters where appropriate.
- Working with the Team Leaders in managing resources (Solicitors/Trainees/Legal Assistants) on individual matters effectively and in line with agreed timetables on projects.
- Conducting quality control as directed by the Team Leaders.
- Managing quality assurance analytics and processes.
- Instructing and working closely with the managing project team on each project (e.g. other Senior Solicitors).
- Managing the appropriate technology employed for each matter.
- Ensuring own and team compliance with financial disciplines on matters (e.g. daily time-recording and target chargeable hours).
- Where appropriate and where required by specific practice areas/clients/projects, managing the billing process and WIP management.
- Liaising with teams elsewhere in the firm (e.g. London) as required on fee-earning or other projects.
- Overall responsibility for the management of individual matters and people management responsibilities in the absence of the Team Leaders.
What you'll need to succeed
- Qualified solicitor in England and Wales or Northern Ireland, but Republic of Ireland or other common law jurisdictions will be considered. (If not qualified in England & Wales then willing to complete process to requalify as such, if required.)
- 2.5 years PQE in relevant practice area.
- High level of attention to detail, but can also step back from the detail and see problems, opportunities and trends.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to summarise complex issues succinctly verbally and in writing.
- Strong analytical ability, coupled with sound judgement to balance multiple factors and solve complex problems.
- Strong IT literacy, including an aptitude for learning (and becoming proficient in) the use of software and IT applications, for example using search terms intelligently to navigate large databases/document management systems.
What you'll get in return
Competitive market salary and package are on offer
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV. If you would like more detail on this job or if you are looking for a new legal opportunity in either Belfast, Dublin or a specific national location, we have a strategic office network spanning the UK and Ireland and a team of specialist legal recruitment consultants that can assist. Please contact Patrick McDonald today for a confidential discussion on your legal career.
Experience: 0 yrs