Director/Senior Manager AML & Sanctions
Abacus Careers are currently recruiting for an experienced Director/Senior Manager AML & Sanctions to join the Belfast offices of a Global law firm. Our client has been a leading name in providing global advice for several decades, many of their partners are market leaders in their practice area and they are widely renowned for providing a first-class level of service.
Although they have been established for decades, the firm also moves with times. They are often praised for their innovative approach to financial services, legal services and, with the use of highly advanced technology, are recognised as one of Europe's most forward-thinking firms.
- Working closely with and supporting the UK Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO) and Deputy MLRO, including attending regular meetings to provide updates on areas of responsibility.
- Analysing and resolving (or, where appropriate, facilitating resolution of) professional, legal, regulatory and commercial issues relating to business acceptance and client engagement in the areas of financial crime and sanctions, which are referred by theBAU analyst and legal teams, by partners and by all other levels of lawyer and support staff, including in the following areas:
- anti-money laundering client ID issues;
- reputational and suitability issues; and
- sanctions questions.
- Performing the role of the firm's internal expert in and senior contact point for anti-money laundering client ID requirements in particular specified jurisdictions, including attending regulatory audit meetings in respect of those jurisdictions where required.
- Being a senior contact point for local MLROs globally in relation to the BAU team's processes and procedures.
- Monitoring changes in practice, professional rules, regulations and the law as affects financial crime and sanctions globally and escalating any proposed adjustments/enhancements to the Heads of Business Acceptance Unit and Financial Crime & Sanctions for consideration.
- Assisting and supporting the Money Laundering Compliance Officer and Head of Financial Crime & Sanctions in ensuring that firm and BAU policy and procedure in the areas of financial crime and sanctions, including client ID checks, meet applicable requirements and that the process is as efficient and streamlined as possible, whilst remaining thorough and rigorous.
- Assisting in the design, implementation and delivery of training for the BAU team and fee earners in the areas of financial crime and sanctions, particularly anti-money laundering compliance
- Existing high level experience of the work and responsibilities of the BAU team, including specifically in the areas of anti-money laundering and sanctions compliance.
- Commercially and practically minded and able to see the bigger picture when needed.
Ability to analyse facts and scenarios thoroughly (and yet quickly) and to proactively put forward resolutions to problems.
- Top-level task management and organisational skills and a proven ability to manage multiple tasks under time pressure.
- Strong communicator with a proven ability to motivate others and to communicate positively and effectively with team members, fee earners and support staff.
- Willingness to work hard and to take day-to-day responsibility for the BAU's key processes in the areas of financial crime and sanctions.
- Possessing a "can do" approach with an ability to solve problems and look beyond practical and logistical challenges by suggesting solutions and implementing them.
- Strong people management skills and experience with an interest in mentoring.
Enthusiastic, self-motivated and pro-active.
Salary & Benefits:
As a market leading firm, the financial rewards and benefits package on offer will be amongst the best in the local market.
- Private Medical Insurance
- Enhanced Holidays
- Contributory Pension Matched
- Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Health & wellbeing services
- Business Travel Insurance
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Bike loans
- Translink aLink annual smart card
- Free Mortgage Advice
- Payroll Giving
Please submit your application or speak to a specialist consultant from the Abacus team on 0044 (0) 28 9031 3157 for a confidential discussion. We aim to respond to all inquiries within 4 business hours.
The team at Abacus manages a range of permanent and contract positions throughout Northern Ireland, the UK and the Republic of Ireland. If you are experienced and/or professionally qualified we can support your job search.
Experience: 0 yrs