Big news!! ASOS is setting up a tech hub right here in Belfast and we are delighted that MCS Group are the exclusive talent partner for ASOS NI. We are seeking to connect with a Lead Data Engineer to join the ASOS tech revolution. ASOS invest huge amounts of money into cutting edge technology, trust us they operate on the bleeding edge.
After multiple conversations with various individuals across the tech business it was easy to identify this giant still retains their start up feel. Where else would you get direct access to the Microsoft product teams? They help shape the future of the Microsoft products proving their committed investment in cutting edge tech and their passion for never standing still. Whilst not everyone will know ASOS for their tech capabilities, technology is in their DNA.
In every conversation MCS Group have had across the ASOS business it is extremely clear people are at the core. Committed to diversity and inclusion, aiming for 50/50 gender parity in leadership roles by 2023 (65% of the company is currently female), right down to their Tech Develops sessions the last Friday of every month ASOS are committed to ensuring their people get the most out of their career. We could write so much more but unfortunately, we can't fit in all in, so apply and be sure to find out the rest of the ASOS story. Now is your time to become an ASOSer.
- Overall responsibility for the technical implementation of high quality, enterprise-grade solutions based on the Microsoft SQL and Data Platform.
- Work closely with the SA to ensure that designs are practical, workable and deliverable, and that the technical implementation and the architectural vision remain aligned, particularly in the case where changes are required on either side due to external influences or other constraints.
- Ensure that solutions are built to the highest standard, is built in a way that favours a simple and maintainable approach over a clever and complex one, is tested at every step on the path to production using the appropriate tools and practices, is deployable using automated tooling only, and is suitably instrumented to meet core operational and business monitoring needs.
- Demonstrate your passion for engineering by promoting good engineering practices within your team, including any associated disciplines and functional areas, such as QA, DBAs etc.
- Be committed to building and maintaining a highly productive, happy team which is instilled with the ethos of delivery - where the ultimate and only real measure of success is working software in production - by ensuring that the people around you are continually challenged, motivated, mentored and supported where necessary.
Develop and foster strong relationships with Business stakeholders and Business Analysts to ensure that the software delivered by your team maps to the requirements of the business.
- Work with the Principal Engineers and other members of your peer group to ensure that software delivered by your team is built in a way which is technically consistent with - and exploits where possible - the collected learning's, tools, patterns and practices in place across the wider Engineering community.
- Working across agile cross functional teams.
- Interfacing with architects to identify risks, issues, and opportunities and collaborate on solutions.
- Supporting Agile Delivery Managers, championing efficiency and pragmatism throughout the development lifecycle.
- Researching and experimenting with emerging data technologies and industry trends with a view to bringing business value through early adoption.
- Encouraging and driving the use of CI/CD so that solutions are deployable through a transparent and repeatable automated pipeline.
The successful Lead Data Engineer will be able to demonstrate some if not all the following:
Previous significant experience in a Data Engineering role:
- Strong proactive leadership skills.
- Understand the importance of a good team dynamic and be comfortable giving and receiving feedback, to help raise standards and continuously drive improvements.
- Excellent multi-tasking and strong communication skills
- Team development and mentoring skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience across the delivery lifecycle, an understanding of agile development practices, ideally having worked successfully with agile delivery teams.
- Can articulate to the business the impact of technology/design choices
- Working knowledge of the tools and practices available and appropriate to each phase of software delivery, such as TDD, BDD, Integration Testing, Performance Testing etc
- CI, Continuous Delivery, Build Automation
- Understanding of cloud and on-premise infrastructure concerns
- Knowledge of the Microsoft SQL and Data Platform, especially:
- Azure Synapse Analytics
- Power BI
- Azure Data Factory v2,
- Azure Data Lake gen2
- Azure Databricks
- Azure Functions
- Azure SQL Database
- Azure Storage Services
- Azure Service Bus
- Azure Event Hubs
- SQL Server
- Knowledge of RDBMS, Data warehouse and ETL development and tools.
- Power BI knowledge - Apps, Dashboards, DAX, Data Modelling
- Relational and non-relational database technologies
- Strong understanding of Big Data integration techniques - e.g. how to deal with volume/velocity/variety in a performant way.
- Broad knowledge of CI/CD tools:
- Continuous Integration tools such as TeamCity, Jenkins, Azure DevOps
- Automated Deployment and Release Management tools such as Octopus Deploy, Azure DevOps
- Source control tools such as GIT and Team Foundation Version Control
- Automated Testing frameworks
A highly competitive salary depending on experience alongside an excellent and highly attractive benefits package including: 12% bonus, £5500 as extra salary or benefits for the family, Pension Matching, Life Insurance, medical cover, holidays, further flexible benefits to personalise and excellent learning and development opportunities. Plus discounts!!
To Speak in absolute confidence about this opportunity please contact Sharon Riddell, Senior Recruitment Consultant at MCS Group, or click apply below.
Experience: 0 yrs