Service Engineer – Transaction Systems
We build solutions that touch 16 million customers on a daily basis.
You will work alongside people as passionate as you, focused on delivering the best possible user experiences.
You will work in a highly collaborative environment primed to adapt to an ever changing landscape and which places technology solutions at its core.
You will thrive, you will think differently, you will challenge convention and have the freedom to act with integrity, intention and speed; you will be at the forefront of developing capabilities in support of Allstate’s global business model; you will deliver results and you will leave things better than you found them.
Mainframe Engineering – Transaction Systems Team is responsible for managing, maintaining and supporting the mainframe CICS environment and the mainframe and Linux/Unix MQ environments. These environments support numerous business critical applications for the enterprise. The scope of the team’s accountability includes software, configurations and supporting infrastructure for these environments. The team is comprised of approximately 8 individuals. Current and near-term high-priority projects include upgrading CICS to version 5.2, upgrading MQ to version 9 and implementing MQ clustering.
The Service Engineer – Consultant is responsible for the overall support and maintenance of the CICS and MQ environment. This involves installing, customizing, and maintaining the CICS and MQ products, adding definitions for new applications as well as installing, upgrading and supporting IBM and ISV products that are hosted on the platform. Individuals in this position are also responsible for troubleshooting and diagnosing problems with CICS and MQ and working directly with software vendors to resolve the problems.
Responsibilities include (but aren't limited to):
- Define new CICS and/or IBM MQ components in support of application or infrastructure projects
- Update and maintain CICS components and/or IBM MQ queue managers
- Execute infrastructure changes to CICS onlines and/or IBM MQ components
- Troubleshoot and resolve CICS and/or IBM MQ incidents, issues and problems
- Assisting with the installation and maintenance of mainframe OEM software products
- Provide project consultation to applications teams; assist in the design and development of CICS and/or IBM MQ solutions
- Participate in reviewing and updating in-house developed CICS programs and utilities
- Participate in an on-call rotation to provide 24x7 support; be available for project and maintenance activities outside normal working hours, as needed
The ideal person will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
Candidates should clearly state on their application form how they meet each of the essential criteria as these will be assessed during shortlisting and only these deemed to meet all of the below criteria will move forward to the next stage.
- 2 to 3 years of experience supporting CICS, preferably in a system programmer role.(Experienced CICS application programmers with an understanding of CICS concepts will also be considered.) OR
- 2 to 3 years of experience supporting IBM MQ, preferably as a systems programmer with support experience on Mainframe and/or UNIX and/or LINUX. Candidates with strong experience in designing/coding/supporting IBM MQ applications who can translate those experiences into MQ systems programming work will also be considered OR
- Candidates will be considered that have Mainframe Production Support experience or exposure to the Mainframe Platform and can demonstrate a genuine interest and desire to develop in a systems programmer role.
- Experience providing support within a multi-LPAR, multi-site sysplex environment
- Experience installing and supporting ISV software products; experience working with SMP/E
- Extensive experience working with TSO, ISPF/PDF and SDSF
- Must be an EU citizen or possess a current UK Tier 1 Visa or Tier 2 visa and eligible to take up full time, permanent employment
Hours of Work:
- Generally, standard hours Mon – Fri
- Participation in an on-call rotation to provide 24x7 support is required
- Must be willing and available for project and maintenance activities outside normal working hours, as needed
- Flexibility to meet business needs as required
For further information click the APPLY BUTTON
Closing Date: Friday, 4th May 2018
Statement on Fair Employment and Equal Opportunities:
Allstate NI wishes to ensure equal opportunity is given to all job applicants. This company will not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender (including gender reassignment status), sexual orientation, religious belief, political opinion, marital status, age or disability.
Applicants should note Allstate NI complete AccessNI background checks on all candidates offered a position.