Public Sector Accountant, Management Accountant, SO Accountant
Your new company
Hays Accountancy and Finance are working exclusively with a distinguished non departmental body based in greater Belfast for the permanent appointment of a Staff Officer Accountant. Reporting in to the Finance and Governance manager you will play a pivotal part in what is a growing team.
Playing a key leadership role within the finance team as well as providing business partnering role to the rest of the organisation.
This organisation values their staff, works collaboratively, hybrid working available and offers an excellent package including premium pension, flexibility and core working hours.
Your new role
Duties and Responsibilities: The activities which the post holder will be expected to perform will include the following:
- Manage the day to day running of the accounting function through the use of appropriate systems, processes, policies, procedures and practices to meet the needs of the business, ensuring that all policies and procedures meet the requirements of the relevant legislation and reflect best practice models.
- The completion of monthly management accounts for submission to the Chief Executive for review, provision of a "budget update" to the senior management team and meeting with budget holders to review actual expenditure against budget.
- Assist in the preparation of annual accounts and annual financial report, maintaining the register of Financial Risk.
- Support the Head of Finance & Governance in ensuring that the Finance function fulfils its commitments to the Accounting Officer as set out in the Management Statement and Financial Memorandum.
- Ensure the appropriate financial procedures, controls and structures are in place for the effective, efficient and economic management of public funds and monitor their outputs and outcomes.
- Support the management oversight, monitoring and control of the organisations finances in accordance with Managing Public Money NI ) and the Government Financial Reporting Manual.
- Ensure that good governance and effective controls are in place and maintain a strategy for the management of risk.
- Responsible for the ongoing review and reporting of internal performance management, with the aim of keeping the Executive Team and Senior Management Team advised of performance and development of new performance management arrangements.
- Provide support to the Finance and Governance Manager in the preparation for and conduct of the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee meetings, on a quarterly basis.
- Assist the Finance and Governance Manager in the conduct of all internal and external audit including the agreement of audit strategies and the management of all audit fieldwork.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual divisional and corporate budgets for submission to and approval by the senior management team. To update budget following the outcome of monitoring rounds.
- Provide a highly responsive business support role to colleagues across the organisation.
- Advise on matters relating to governance, promoting and embedding the risk management process.
- Support the Finance and Governance Manager, Head of Finance and the Chief Operating Officer in relation to the Corporate and Business Planning processes.
- Provide training and development to staff at all levels on financial management and compliance with internal corporate policies.
Leadership and Staff Development
- To promote team working and to ensure the communication of clear objectives and performance targets and implement performance review mechanisms.
- Day to day management and development of three direct reports.
- Build a sense of team spirit, encouraging shared ownership of objectives and deliverables.
- Demonstrate an inclusive style of management which motivates staff, develops commitment, encourages innovation and builds positive relationships with government departments and stakeholders.
What you'll need to succeed
- Successfully completed the professional examinations and be a full, current member of one of the professional bodies below:
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland;
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland;
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales;
- The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants;
- The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants;
- The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy;
- The Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Ireland.
- Have a minimum of two years' practical experience in each of the following areas:
- Preparation of financial statements in accordance with UK Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP) and/or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Preparation of month end or year end accounts.
- Management accounting and costing systems, and financial performance reporting systems.
- Preparing, managing and monitoring budgets and the allocation of resources. Have a minimum of one years' experience of managing and motivating staff to achieve individual and team objectives.
- Experience of staff management, within a finance environment.
- Advanced excel skills, including working with large data sets, building models for budgeting purposes and pivot tables.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call Elaine McCullagh at Hays for more information on 02890446911.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Experience: 0 yrs