Financial Accountant £38,000 18 Month Contract Belfast
This post is to cover a permanent vacancy in the accounting and book-keeping team. This team is based within the Finance Office, and is responsible for the provision of full book-keeping and accounting services, undertaking an accounts payable function, ensuring expenditure is accurately recorded and reporting on all expenditure, in line with accounting standards as adapted for the public sector. Homeworking arrangements require candidates to have personal access to a Windows 10 laptop or desktop computer.
The Accountant (AG 6) will have responsibility for a number of key functions within the Finance Office, including the supervision of a small team of book-keeping staff. The post-holder will also be responsible for the administration of the monthly internal budgetary control and reporting process, including partnering with the business effectively, to support local decision-making. Supervising the delivery of a range of finance services to the Secretariat, ensuring adherence to agreed policies. Performing as administrator for key financial systems, such as AP and the financial reporting system. The post holder will assist the Senior Accountant with the preparation of the Interim and Annual Report and Resource Accounts and undertake the administration and maintenance of the computerised accounting systems.
The main duties / responsibilities of the post include:
- Supervision of the weekly accounts payable processes and suppliers' payment run;
- Preparation of the monthly prepayment and accrual journals;
- Production of monthly general ledger control account reconciliations, including but not limited to the bank accounts, the net pay control accounts and the VAT control accounts;
- Administration of the monthly internal budgetary control and forecasting processes, including effective Business Partnering;
- Production of high quality, reliable, accurate and timely financial information for internal and external stakeholders. This includes monthly management accounts with detailed variance analysis;
- Administration and maintenance of the financial accounting and purchase ordering systems;
- Maintenance of the Fixed Asset Register;
- Management of the Government Procurement Card Scheme;
- Interpretation and application of the Travel Policy in relation to staff claims for reimbursement, ensuring the policy is correctly applied and claims are compliant;
- Assisting with the preparation of the Interim and Annual Report and Resource Accounts;
- Line management of a small team;
- Any other duties as may be reasonably required.
Applicants must have:
Successfully completed the professional examinations and be a full current member of one of the Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies listed below:
(a) The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants;
(b) The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland;
(c) The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland;
(d) The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales;
(e) The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants; or
(f) The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy.
At least one years' post qualification experience of preparing financial or management accounts for a public, commercial or voluntary sector organisation on an IFRS basis,
At least one years' experience of maintaining and developing core IT financial and/or management accounting systems;
Experience using Microsoft Office packages, to include MS Work, Excel and Outlook.
a) Experience of delivering services to tight deadlines to meet statutory or organisational requirements;
b) Line management experience.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Experience: 0 yrs