Main Purpose of Post/Job Summary
To undertake specialist driving duties (HGV), supervise the vehicle team and undertake associated ancillary duties within the Refuse Collection Service.
Duties and Responsibilities
· To drive and be responsible for allocated vehicles requiring specialist H.G.V. driving skills.
· To be team supervisor and be responsible for the crew, the safe operation of the vehicle and equipment necessary for the performance of refuse collection duties.
· To undertake routine maintenance including vehicle checks, cleansing, transportation and associated paperwork.
· To be the primary communication channel between the vehicle and other Council employee, including Supervisors and ‘Tech Base’
· To report any issues that may present a danger to the public/environment to a line manager and to report misuse or vandalism of Council property
· To assist with the Council’s recycling targets by checking wheeled bins for contamination, issuing contamination notices and rejecting contaminated bins.
· To be responsible for the safe handling and use of the vehicle of the refuse collection vehicle at landfill/recycling facilities.
· To demount the refuse collection vehicle and assist General Operatives with collection duties as required.
· While not driving a HGV, to undertake other driving duties as appropriate to any other service within the Department.
· To maintain appropriate records for works undertaken in Refuse Collection e.g. work schedules, timesheets, complaints forms etc.
· To ensure a high standard of personal behaviour at all times and to maintain good relations with customers and members of the public.
· To provide assistance and information to members of the public when requested.
· To follow the agreed procedures in relation to the disposal of controlled waste e.g. dead animals.
· To ensure that Corporate policies and procedures are adhered to at all times.
· LGV Category C Driving License AND
· Current Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
· At least 1 year’s previous experience of driving commercial vehicles of the type requiring LGV Category C Driving License
· A good knowledge of Health and Safety issues relating to the operation of HGV vehicles
· Able to work with minimum supervision using their own initiative
· Able to work in a team environment
· Knowledge of environmental issues relating to recycling
· Ability to work overtime (including evenings, weekends and public holidays as required)
If you would like to apply and meet all essential criteria, please email through your CV asap.